Do you enjoy working with computers, pay exceptional attention to detail and aspire to work in the healthcare industry? If so, a medical billing and coding specialist position may be a viable option for you, and can lead to a rewarding career. To give you a little more insight, here are some of the top reasons for becoming a medical billing and coding specialist:
- There’s a Demand for Qualified Medical Coding Professionals – The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that job prospects for medical records and health information technicians, which includes medical coders, appear to be good in the coming years. Employment rates for this field are actually expected to increase 20% between 2008 and 2018, which is much faster than the average for all occupations.*
- Education Can Be Completed in Less Than a Year – Some medical billing and coding training programs can be finished in as few as 10 months, or about a year-and-a-half for an associate degree. Take time to explore your education options and choose a quality medical billing and coding training program. Ideally, the program you choose should also prepare you for industry certification, such as the Certified Professional Coder (CPC®) designation from the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
- Availability of Online Medical Billing and Coding Education – Thanks to the convenience and flexibility of online medical billing and coding degree and diploma programs, you can accomplish your healthcare education goals without the common barriers of time and location. You’ll want to select a reputable, accredited medical billing and coding school with a specialized curriculum. These primary qualifications can help ensure that you receive a quality education.
- Ability to Work in Healthcare Without the Typical Physical Demands – Many healthcare workers have to work extremely long hours and are required to move patients, stand or walk for long periods of time, clean up after patients and so on. As a medical billing and coding specialist, you will be able to assist healthcare providers and patients alike, all while working from your computer.
- Potential to Work at Home and Set Your Own Schedule – Some healthcare providers outsource their medical billing and coding workload to fully trained specialists. This option gives you the opportunity to build your own home-based practice. As an independent medical billing and coding specialist, you have the freedom to decide what hours you would like to work and create an environment that fits your personal and professional needs.